Net Worth Update: October

I must admit, dear readers, that I almost didn't write this update.  In fact, I almost didn't write anything.  I kind of felt like walking away.  School, work, and the daily stresses almost had me hanging up the keyboard.  Instead I decided to keep going.  I mean, I've only been at this for a little over a year and I figure I have at least forty left in me (that is a joke, there is no way I actually have forty years left in me).

SO without further procrastination...

Mint says my current net worth is...

- $111,361.71

That is a difference of...

+ $ 1735.25

After posting a huge negative jump last month we improve almost 2k this month.  Not too shabby.  Lets take a look at those accounts to see what's crackin.

1. Emergency Fund                 $7,467.31                                                                                                
2. Checking                             $1471.16
3. Car Account                        $1370.70
4. Chase Sapphire Preferred  -$0.00
5. Wife's Card                        -$0.00
6. Mortgage                           - $156,410.14
7. Wife's 401k                         $16,735.74
8. My Roth                               $607.37
9. My 403b                               $8,912.44
10. Wife's Car                         $7,129.00
11. My Car                               $2,218.00


We managed to save money during the month of October even though we dropped nearly 1k on new tires and wheels for my car.  You might wonder why I did this...I mean my car is barley worth 2k so why would I pour almost fifty percent of its value into making it run reliably.  Well I fully believe that the cheapest car to own is the cheapest car you own.  


In other words I don't want to spend the time shopping around.  My old wheels were alloy (new ones are steel) and they developed a leek around the seal.  Last winter I spent half my time driving, and half filling up leaking tires.  ANNOYING!  The wheels had corroded so badly that cleaning and resealing the wheels did not work.  So this year I broke down and bought new steel wheels and tires.  I hope that this winter, and the lack of time I spend airing up my tires, justifies my purchase.


Another big reason we didn't go car shopping is that WE CAN'T AFFORD IT!  Sure, we could probably get a car payment if we wanted, but we never want that again.  Ever.  For any freaking reason.  We only have $1300 saved so far to replace our car, and I don't want to buy a $1300 dollar car if I can avoid it.


GOALS:


1. Read ten books by the end of this year: 3/10.  Another month creeps by and yet no books read.  I did recently receive a copy of the legacy journey and I am currently reading that.  I blame youtube for my failure though.  Darn those funny cat videos.


2. Savings: Back up to 7k.  Still got about 8k to go until we are finished with our goal.


3. Retirement: I think that I am going to not invest in an FSA this year since I barely used it this past year.  I probably will take that money and instead divert it to my 403b.  It will pretty much have the same tax implications and I will be investing more which will be a plus.


4. Masters: I just finished up two more classes and the grades are pending.  I hope the profs got the attached fifty dollar bills on my finals;)  jkjk.  Now onto one more class and I will be done for the year.


5. Devotions: I would like to report that I have been doing these faithfully, but I haven't...but I have picked it up in the month of November and will likely has a positive report next blog posting.


6. Blog Posting:  Well despite the fact that this post almost didn't exist, here it is.  Even though I've felt pretty down lately, and I have been failing at my goals I refuse to quit.  I think it was Lombardi that said a man who refuses to quit is never defeated, but I'm not really for sure.  I also don't really want to look it up...


So that is your homework for the week.  Look up that quote, memorize that quote, and execute on that quote.


OSC.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Net Worth Update: January

Old School's (negative) NET WORTH!!! First Edition

Net Worth Update: October 2017