Net Worth Update: September

What is up faithful readers of the coinage?  I bring you the earliest net worth update in ages!!!  Why?  How?  Is this real life?  Yes.  The reason this new post is coming at you early is that I have a day off...yay for being a teacher!  Now on to the good stuff...

Mint says that my net worth is 

- $113,096.96

That is a difference from last month of

- $7,516.10

There goes the neighborhood!  Apparently my positive months could not continue as we came to a screeching halt in September.  Why did my net worth go down so much?  Let's take a look at the accounts...

1. Emergency Fund                  $6,966.11                                                                                                
2. Checking                              $359.54
3. Car Account                         $1195.54
4. Chase Sapphire Preferred  - $0.00
5. Wife's Card                        - $0.00
6. Mortgage                           - $156,692.06
7. Wife's 401k                          $16,629.58
8. My Roth                               $592.25
9. My 403b                               $8,497.45
10. Wife's Car                           $7,129.00
11. My Car                               $2,218.00

You will notice that our savings account took a hit.  The main reason that we took some of that cash out is that we caught up our credit cards completely (aka paid em all down baby!) and now we are not using them again.  What???  What about all the "free points and miles and perks".  You are totally missing out Old School.  Well guess what?

I tried credit cards and decided they weren't for me.  There is something about parting with cash versus parting with plastic that resonates with me.  I prefer to use cash because it hurts more and I spend less.  Some financial bloggers (actually most:) can use a card just fine, but not I...and that is just the cold hard truth.

I probably fall under the statistic that states you spend 12% more when you use plastic...so now I use cash.  It has been working out pretty well for the past month.  

Let's take a look at the other goals that I started at the beginning of this year...

GOALS:

1. Read ten books before the end of this year: 3/10 No progress once again...yikes!  I thought this goal was going to be easy when I started but now I don't know if I will hit it or not.  

2. Savings: Down to 6k!  So we dropped about 1.5k or so, but we are all caught up with our credit cards, and we are building it back up.  We hope to see some improvement this next month and I'm really happy our car fund has been steadily rising.  We also paid for some tires and wheels for my car which means it is winter ready!

3. Retirement: Nothing of real interest to report here...I just keep plugging along as does the wife.  Gotta save money to make money!

4. Masters: I just keep on studying and going to class...the key is to attend class lol (maybe I will write about the mistakes I made the first go-round).

5. Devotions: Awww jeez....I really need to read the bible more often, and why does it seem like this always gets pushed to the last priority instead of being the first?  As Charles Barkley would tell me...tuerrble just teurrble.

6. Blog Posting: Got this one in on time and without a hitch (eh, better knock on some wood)... but that is all for now and have a great day boys and girls.

Old School Out.

* BTW, if you get a chance check out my twitter feed and follow me for updates...if you are into that sort of thing...there will also be annoying cat and dog pictures there that won't necessarily be on this blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Net Worth Update: January

Old School's (negative) NET WORTH!!! First Edition

Net Worth Update: October 2017