Sunday, November 15, 2015

Net Worth Update: October

I must admit, dear readers, that I almost didn't write this update.  In fact, I almost didn't write anything.  I kind of felt like walking away.  School, work, and the daily stresses almost had me hanging up the keyboard.  Instead I decided to keep going.  I mean, I've only been at this for a little over a year and I figure I have at least forty left in me (that is a joke, there is no way I actually have forty years left in me).

SO without further procrastination...

Mint says my current net worth is...

- $111,361.71

That is a difference of...

+ $ 1735.25

After posting a huge negative jump last month we improve almost 2k this month.  Not too shabby.  Lets take a look at those accounts to see what's crackin.

1. Emergency Fund                 $7,467.31                                                                                                
2. Checking                             $1471.16
3. Car Account                        $1370.70
4. Chase Sapphire Preferred  -$0.00
5. Wife's Card                        -$0.00
6. Mortgage                           - $156,410.14
7. Wife's 401k                         $16,735.74
8. My Roth                               $607.37
9. My 403b                               $8,912.44
10. Wife's Car                         $7,129.00
11. My Car                               $2,218.00


We managed to save money during the month of October even though we dropped nearly 1k on new tires and wheels for my car.  You might wonder why I did this...I mean my car is barley worth 2k so why would I pour almost fifty percent of its value into making it run reliably.  Well I fully believe that the cheapest car to own is the cheapest car you own.  


In other words I don't want to spend the time shopping around.  My old wheels were alloy (new ones are steel) and they developed a leek around the seal.  Last winter I spent half my time driving, and half filling up leaking tires.  ANNOYING!  The wheels had corroded so badly that cleaning and resealing the wheels did not work.  So this year I broke down and bought new steel wheels and tires.  I hope that this winter, and the lack of time I spend airing up my tires, justifies my purchase.


Another big reason we didn't go car shopping is that WE CAN'T AFFORD IT!  Sure, we could probably get a car payment if we wanted, but we never want that again.  Ever.  For any freaking reason.  We only have $1300 saved so far to replace our car, and I don't want to buy a $1300 dollar car if I can avoid it.


GOALS:


1. Read ten books by the end of this year: 3/10.  Another month creeps by and yet no books read.  I did recently receive a copy of the legacy journey and I am currently reading that.  I blame youtube for my failure though.  Darn those funny cat videos.


2. Savings: Back up to 7k.  Still got about 8k to go until we are finished with our goal.


3. Retirement: I think that I am going to not invest in an FSA this year since I barely used it this past year.  I probably will take that money and instead divert it to my 403b.  It will pretty much have the same tax implications and I will be investing more which will be a plus.


4. Masters: I just finished up two more classes and the grades are pending.  I hope the profs got the attached fifty dollar bills on my finals;)  jkjk.  Now onto one more class and I will be done for the year.


5. Devotions: I would like to report that I have been doing these faithfully, but I haven't...but I have picked it up in the month of November and will likely has a positive report next blog posting.


6. Blog Posting:  Well despite the fact that this post almost didn't exist, here it is.  Even though I've felt pretty down lately, and I have been failing at my goals I refuse to quit.  I think it was Lombardi that said a man who refuses to quit is never defeated, but I'm not really for sure.  I also don't really want to look it up...


So that is your homework for the week.  Look up that quote, memorize that quote, and execute on that quote.


OSC.