Old Schools Net Worth Update: October Edition

Hello there boys and girls, gents and ladies, ghouls and whatever the female version of a ghoul is.  It is time for another Old School Net Worth update.  To be honest I am a little afraid to look, because I know I have been slacking lately in the finance area.  I don't know why but for some reason October was kind of a "I'm not feeling very frugal, and I want to go out to eat" type of month.  So without further ado let us take a look...

Mint says my net worth is now...

$ -130,540.78

That is a difference from last month of

+ $1716.55

Well that isn't exactly a great big step in the right direction, but it is not a step backwards either.  I'm going to go ahead and tell you what I've been up to lately, why I haven't written, and other boring stuff you probably won't read:)

I have been extremely busy lately.  Who hasn't?  I have been working on getting into a masters program, taking care of some last minute outdoor projects, and working on coaching a tennis team.

My wife had an unexpected medical bill that we sort of cash flowed to the tune of $1300.  This bill however, was not entirely her fault.  The office manager did a poor job explaining what was being done, did not give her a guesstimate of expenses, and proceeded to send a test out of network.  What normally would have been a $20.00 test turned into a $1800 bill that she negotiated down to $1300.  These people are just fortunate that my wife handled the situation, because if I had gotten the phone I would have let them know exactly where to stick that bill.  On a side note, no matter how sick or bad you are feeling at the office, always make sure you know what they are doing to you, and always ask where they are sending your tests.  Make sure it is in network!  /Rant over.

On to happier pastures.  With the recent freezing my wife is feeling a lot better.  Nothing alive means no pollen which means no allergies for her.

GOALS:

1. Savings: Kind of went backwards on this goal as we went down to $5400.  Had to pay for that medical bill somehow, and we simply don't make enough money to cash flow the entire bill and continue with our other goals.  So the goal of $7000 still stands and we will hit it!

2. I did complete my goal with my 403b and met with the companies advisor.  Seems I have saved about 5k in my 403b.  Currently it is in a target date fund so that is fine for now.  I know target date funds are not great, but right now since I am young it is set up fine the way it is.  Since I now have access to it online I can adjust it or mess with it as I see fit, which was the goal in the first place.

3. I took J. Moneys Craigslist challenge and posted a few things online.  I did not do a great job posting them, but got the hang of it quickly.  I sold a pair of old turtle beach headphones the other day for $25.00...sweet!  I then turned that $25 into house supplies that we needed so I offset my housing budget by $25 this month, all for a pair headphones I never used any more!

*4. Just remembered....I am going to fill out some paperwork on a Flex spending account, so YAY for lowering my taxable income!

Anyway that is all I have for now, but I'll be finishing up my House building series soon, and maybe talk about my obsession with fantasy football, or other musings I come up later.  I also am in the process of writing a short mystery novel for kindle because you can never have too many hustles at once...right?

Hustle on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Net Worth Update: January

Old School's (negative) NET WORTH!!! First Edition

Net Worth Update: October 2017