Was today Black Friday?

Was today black Friday?  I think that as a kid I just used to think of it as the day after Thanksgiving and I knew I didn't have to go to school!

I guess today was black Friday.  I guess I did go out and shop, but not an extremely early hour and not to score some great deal.  I just went to my local Ross to browse the inventory for items to buy and resell.  I also happened to be looking for Christmas presents for the wife.  (This year we have set a $25 spending limit on each other).  I also happened to be out eating lunch with my wife who still had to work today, so it wasn't a trip just to go to Ross:/

I had the day off and really took advantage of the quiet time around the house.  I cleaned, did some laundry, read, and fixed myself some delicious meals of leftovers from yesterdays feasts.

Even though I was out and about, the store that I went to wasn't overly crowded.  Maybe it was because there wasn't a "doorbuster" or maybe all the crazy people had already left:)

At any rate I guess I don't think black Friday is really black Friday anymore because it all starts on Thursday.  I have a deep dark confession to make and I almost feel bad... I went out on Thursday.  I went to Wal-Mart and bought presents there for my mother and father.  (My brother tagged along). 

The items (kept secret just in case momma and poppa are reading this) saved my brother and I about $60 in total.  Nothing huge, but nothing to turn down either.  I think we were in the store a total of 1.5 hours.  While there I didn't witness too many fights, but I did feel slightly guilty for taking part in the consumerist ways on Thanksgiving.

I had already spent some lovely time with the wife's family, and then spent some time with my family so it isn't like I missed out on anything or left any party early.  I still have a dirty feeling in my gut though, because I am what you would call a purist.  I like Thanksgiving to stay on it's own day, and black Friday to stay on Friday.  By supporting the retail giant, I merely encouraged and voted with my dollars to continue having stores open on Thanksgiving.

Hmmmm:/  I'm guessing (because I haven't read every other blog yet) that most blogs are highly discouraging of buying items today, or yesterday.  Boycotting consumerism for two days...I just didn't get on board this year.  Usually I do, I mean I really didn't want to go but the lure of deal ensnared me.  I'll be interested to see what everyone spent on black Thursday/Friday this year and sadly know that I was a small part of it.

Oh well.  Continuing on with my consumerist ways I applied and received my first credit card, a Chase Sapphire Preferred.  I did so based upon Noob Travelers recommendation.  If you haven't been to his site just click on the link above and check it out for some awesome travel tips.

Basically this card also goes against some of my beliefs because it is a credit card.  If you don't know I am a huge Dave Ramsey fan and he hates credit cards (please don't hate me Dave:)  I just couldn't turn down the offer to earn points for travel, and save them up to take my wife on a nice trip to Europe someday, or wherever she would like.

I know, it's been a rough week for some of my core beliefs, but I continue to press on.  I suppose all of this change is just part of life, learning and growing.  Check out this link for a much better written article on growing up and dealing with change.

As I continue to grow and write I hope that some of what I learn and share can be used by the few readers of this blog to enhance their own lives.  If I make a mistake first then perhaps others can avoid it by reading.  If I make a positive change first, the perhaps others can implement it as well.  So I guess what I'm thankful for this Thanksgiving is my ability to write and help others...

That and ham.  I love me some ham.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Net Worth Update: January

Old School's (negative) NET WORTH!!! First Edition

Net Worth Update: October 2017