Hot Showers are a Luxery!

Today I'm going to bring you another fine lil ditty from my draft folder circa 2015.  I wrote this after running one chilly fall morning.

Brrrr.

It's cold outside.  Think 40-50ish degrees fairenhieght with a brisk breeze.  As I stepped into the solace of the school building all I could think about was the warm shower that awaited me.  Nothing is better than a piping hot shower after a long cold run.

I quickly hopped into the shower and was rewarded with a blast of cold water.  Yikes I shouted with gusto.  I quickly retreated and let the shower continue to run while I began brushing my teeth.  After a solid 5 minutes the reality set in....this was going to be one cold morning shower.

Now, I could go into detail about cold shower taking methods here, but I'll spare you the bore.  Let's just say it involves a lot of jumping and screaming.

While gulping down my hot coffee I had time to reflect on that mornings unfortunate events.  I realized that even though it was cold, I still was able to get clean quickly that morning.  I didn't have to pump the water myself or locate a suitable creek.

I was able to summon gallons of water at the flip of a switch and not just any water, but clean water.  

I began to realize that the water being warm by the time it reached me was only a luxury.  It wasn't a need or a right.

Many things we experience in everyday life are actually luxuries.


  • Our cars that carry us from point A to point B.
  • Our clothes and shoes that cover and protect our bodies.
  • The stores we visit that sell us all the goods we need to sustain our lives.


Often times in this amazing land of abundance we forget what true need is.  True need is water, food, shelter, clothing.

Some people in this world don't have clean water or a decent shelter.  Some people have to walk for miles barefoot just to get medical aid.

I'm so quick to complain if something doesn't go my way, but what am I really complaining about?

A minor inconvenience because some luxury has been denied me for a small amount of time.

A good example that a lot of you can relate to is when my car broke down this past Wednesday.  I got it into the shop the same day but would not get it back until Friday.  This left me without a vehicle for one measly day.  The way my mood soured you would have thought I had contracted a terminal illness.

My wife offered to drive me for Petes sake, but the feeling of giving up my own "independence" initially angered me.

So I had to step back.  I had to look at the situation from the bigger picture.

  • First it wasn't that big of a deal.  The repair was minor and we had the $ to cover the cost.
  • Second, I still had transportation to my job and I didn't have to run to work.
  • Thirdly (third, thirdy?) I was able to spend more time with my wife.  Time I usually spend mindlessly listening to the radio.

Wrap Up:

In the trenches of everyday life it becomes easy to get used to "the norm."  As a human I become quite comfortable and set in my routines.  I don't like it when anything disrupts my plan because I like to take the easiest path possible...but it isn't always the best path.  One day when I'm nearing the end (if I get the chance to reflect) will I remember the warm shower I took after a cold day's run?

Or will I remember the time I took cold showers for a week because the boiler broke and I danced around like a naked ninny just to get clean?  

I think you know the answer;)

OSC out. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Net Worth Update: January

Old School's (negative) NET WORTH!!! First Edition

Net Worth Update: October 2017